OER

I will be on Summer Leave beginning June 13th and will be unavailable. Final Grades will be posted on CUNY First on June 12th.

Open Letter on Protests: click me

Final Exam Prep: Read my final essay and take notes; compare your methods and conclusion to mine. You will use your notes to answer the final exam question at the end of the week. Click here for my final essay.

You should consult your adviser and review the CUNY grading policy. Click here

PAST Due Dates:

Complete these two assignments while working on your draft. Then continue on.

A. Conducting Field Research. Debrief: Conducting Field Research. Identify injustice through field work.Click here to submit on May 11th. 

B. Briefing a case: Scott v. Sandford and Chevron USA INC v. Natural Resources Defense Council. Click here to submit on May 11th.  Here is a news article about Chevron – click

C. Submit your draft by sharing as a Google Doc: jasonmleggettkbcc@gmail.com  by May 14th.

then complete the next reading assignment using Jstor to use in your conclusion and analysis sections of your paper.

D. Basketball in the Key of Law: The Significance of Disputing in Pick-Up Basketball. DeLand, M. (2013): click here to search for the article through the Kingsborough Library Subscription to Jstor.

E. Bringing your paper together: you must use your original inquiry question, the revision if you changed it, your thesis statement, your field research, your case briefs, the Federal Rules of Evidence: Using the Table of Contents to Applied Research.

—————————————–

Assignments up through the Midterm Follow below.

A. Overview of Research Module (OER):

1. United Nations Sustainability Goals – Think Global, Act Local; Click me to learn more

2. What is an OER (Open Educational Resources) and Why Should I Care in this Class? click here for an example of a OER created by Kingsborough students in Introduction to Criminal Justice.

B. Readings

1. Optional: Here is a free textbook online you can sign up for. You do not have to use this but if you think it would be helpful, you may. Click here for more information.

2. Required:

A. CSI SCIENCE as wishful thinking. Kruse (2010): click here

B. Federal Rules of Evidence: click here

C. Scott v. Sandford: click here

D. Chevron USA INC v. Natural Resources Defense Council: click here

E. Basketball in the Key of Law: The Significance of Disputing in Pick-Up Basketball. DeLand, M. (2013): click here to search for the article through the Kingsborough Library Subscription to Jstor.  (Note* – I will be providing at least one tutorial for you to show you how to search and why this is an important tool for you to use.)

3. Research Resources

A. Congressional Quarterly at Kingsborough Library (requires student id): click here

B. Political Science Dictionary: Click here

C. Kingsborough Library Research Guide CRJ: click here

C. Grading and Assignments

1.Diagnostic and Review Assignments. This will be graded as PASS/FAIL and are required. Failure to complete these assignments will reduce your grade one full letter grade; For example, if you would have had an A- you would get a B- instead.

Watch the Video: Critical Thinking (click here)

Complete Diagnostic One: critical thinking: click here to submit on March 20th.

Create an Actor Network Map (Court system to CRj to Political) to use for this class (click here for the video lecture available on 3/21); send me a picture to jasonmleggettkbcc@gmail.com by March 23rd.

Workshop Video available on 3/23: (Click here): Taking Critical Notes and the difference between Philosophy, History and Science: Identify conflict points of Injustice in your lived experience. Email your outline in Google Docs to me on March 24th.

Brainstorm about topics for final research paper: click here to submit on March 27th.

Diagnostic Two: How has your perception of Law changed so far? free-write. Click here to submit on March 30th.

Study Skills: Use the Midterm Feedback Sheet to Construct a Table. Save as a Google Doc and share with me by May 7th: jasonmleggettkbcc@gmail.com

2. The majority of your grade will come from your FINAL research paper (75 points) and will be broken down into four (5) parts (15 points each):

A. Draft a Thesis Statement for your final research paper. Click here to submit on April 1st.

B. Conducting Field Research. Debrief: Conducting Field Research. Identify injustice through field work.Click here to submit on May 11th. 

C. Briefing a case: Scott v. Sandford and Chevron USA INC v. Natural Resources Defense Council. Click here to submit on May 11th. 

D. Bringing your paper together: you must use your original inquiry question, the revision if you changed it, your thesis statement, your field research, your case briefs, the Federal Rules of Evidence: Using the Table of Contents to Applied Research.

Submit your draft by sharing as a Google Doc: jasonmleggettkbcc@gmail.com  by May 14th.

E. Paper Writing Perfect Paragraph Activity: Sources of Legal Theory: Property Law, Human Rights Law, Positivism, Realism, Law and Society. Edit your draft with the format I give you. The Perfect Paragraph will be your Introduction. The Conclusion will answer the following: How does the History and Structure of the Courts in the U.S.A. inform the Social Responses and Perceptions of Crime and the Law? 

Note* Research Writing Due June 4th; Use Checklist: click here (available April 8th). Get Approval From Me or Revision Instructions by June 6th.

2. Midterm Examination

A. Draft inquiry questions about the content from class thus far and click here to submit April 6  (Note*) pay special attention to the readings, lectures, and the federal rules of evidence we talked about in class.  I will make the questions for the midterm pulling from your inquiries. The midterm is an open book exam. You can use your notes and I will be specific about how to do that.

SPRING BREAK April 8-19th. Take time off or catch up on past due work.

B. The Midterm will be open from April 20 to April 22. https://forms.gle/m2kty8tgPoBtzHs97

3. Final Exam

A. TBD

Lectures (in order)

1.

2.

3.  Exclusionary Rule using the 4th Amendment:

4. Federal Rules of Evidence Part 1.

Coming soon.